A publisher buddy, Brian K. Morris (Rising Tide Publications), sent me a gift.
After 30 seconds, I knew I would share these writing tips with you.
As a copywriter, editor, and proofer, I was excited to discover this short coaching video.
It’s packed with surprising ideas for authors …
… and it’s mostly new stuff I hadn’t considered!
Even if you aren’t working on a book, this is solid gold:
How to Write a Book: 13 Steps from a Bestselling Author
by Jerry B. Jenkins
That Jerry Jenkins … of Left Behind fame, among many other books.
Don’t let the number of steps or the ‘… Write a Book …’ part discourage you.
This video is
• Fewer than 18 minutes long.
• Packed with better information than I could provide you.
• Applicable to any writing.
Even if you hate to write but are forced into it at work, you’ll benefit from Mr. Jenkins’ writing tips and down-to-earth approach to our craft.
You may need to scale it back a bit, but there’s plenty of info you can adapt.
Jerry weaves a gripping narrative (no surprise), promising us writing is doable, but it is not an easy or fast process (as some scammers want us to believe).
In these 13 foundational steps, you’ll discover (among other things) how to:
• Not ‘turn off’ a publisher!
• Work through the ‘marathon in the middle’ of your project.
• Make your writing process work more smoothly.
• Decide if your idea is something people want to read.
• Outline, even if you’re a ‘pantser’ (watch and learn the term :->).
[This is not an affiliate link. I do not receive compensation if you ’click through.’]
Don’t forget to come back – after the video – and share your takeaways!
I’ve supplied a few prompts (below), but feel free to add your own topics.
Let’s send a ‘Thank you’ to Jerry
Now I know why all-l-l-l those Left Behind books are so hard to put down!
It’s time to apply Jerry’s process to our writing and check out his free resources.
More importantly, if you appreciate the video training or any of Jerry’s books, why not leave him an encouraging note?
He’s gone out of his way to give us superb information in this training.
Join the Conversation
• What was your first “Ah HAH!” moment while watching the video?
• Did you have a favorite step from Jerry’s process list? Why was it your fave?
• If you could edit his list, what would you change or add?
Share this post, subscribe so you won’t miss next month’s offering, and scroll down to join the conversation in the comments section.
Let’s all learn from each other!
Please contact me if you have questions about this post or need help non-overwhelming a project.
Find other writing tips here Mini-workshops about lead generation and office tech solutions